Wednesday, May 1, 2024

This morning's prompt is 'calico'.


I lo- like calico, orange and gray tiger stripe cats. I think I did a great job with this one.
***
(Yesterday's bit)
Tom dropped back with Ben. "Brenda said to give you a heads up, there's a dog..."
"Leading us?"
Tom looked really young, for once, because he was, and finally spit out, "Begging..."
Ben was about to say something about how they didn't take in strays and instantly reconsidered it. Instead he asked, "I suppose Brenda suggested-"
"No!"
"Don't be squeamish, kid," although the idea would have revolted Ben before one became two then four stomachs to fill.
"Besides, it's a Pekinese."
Ben was frankly shocked. "How?!"
"I don't know, but, ah maybe we can ask that doberman over there, no sudden moves, she looks mean."
"She?"
"Pretty sure."


(Today's)
Ben heard a noise and looked down, a few feet from their, well, feet.
"And that's a calico," Tom said. He sounded sneakily happy, Ben thought grumpily.
"At least it's not stupid and trusting..." Ben said as it rubbed up against Tom's pant leg. The cat looked smugly up at Ben. Ben glared at the cat and Tom in turn.
"No!"
"What?! I didn't ask-"
"Brenda will never..."
Ben became aware of an approaching asthmatic wheezing, and turned to see Carol, Tom's mother, managing to carry the Pekinese and totter along on her crutch. She was a one legged force of nature. Brenda walked with her but broke away to meet a nosy undead American and provide him with grace.


"Oh, hell no!"
(I know there's a quick (?) story here and I need to finish one for my self respect and for my birthday last Friday)

No comments:

Post a Comment