Saturday, November 2, 2019

November Short Story For Analog SF

Well, that’s quite a working title…


Wednesday, 30 October 2019- I am writing a short story for Analog for this year.
I need to ask the questions, and be ready to start on Friday!


Who, what, when, where, why, and how? Who  am I writing about, what are they
doing, when and where is all this happening, how does this end and why does it end
that way?


Or-
Who are my characters?
What is the story problem?
When and where is the story set?
How do I finish this thing and why?


My characters are ‘methusalehs’, effectively immortal humans who can and do die,
just not for a long time and not if they can possibly avoid it. There is no reason why
they can’t live forever but death by murder or accident or suicide (self-murder) is
possible.


The story problem is something interesting and worth the readers’ attention and time.
What?


The story is set several centuries in the future, out in the dyson swarm of the
developing solar system. The Wild Trojans? The Earth Cloud? Most people are now
living off of Earth.


How do I end this story and why? That very much depends on the what…


(I can edit this on my phone so I can work on it at work, on break)


Thursday, 31 October 2019- I need to start tomorrow! So I need to get a plan ready
tonight. I wrote a webpage to calculate GWP and SE over time. I want to use SE
over time to calculate the cost of producing space stuff, goods in spaaace! Like
durable goods, powersats, habitats, ships and highly automated factories.


Saturday, 2 November 2019- Already two almost days behind tonight! 8-(


So, where am I? I owe myself two days worth of words on a story which I’m not
even done planning, but away we go, donma? 8-P


I am going to go with a 200 year old methuselah living in the ‘Earth Cloud’ of
habitats in orbit between the Earth and the Moon. Earth is still the center of the
solar system, but now a lot of people can and do live off of it; in fact, ‘land’,
habitat hectares, is cheaper than real land on Earth, although many people do
still prefer the mother of mankind for some reason… I have a population of 45.6
billion, a six-fold increase over 2019, but we can probably afford habitat space
for about 30 billion more. Well, ~75 trillion m^2, or ~75 million km^2, half of
the land area of Earth. I’m not sure how many people would be employed off of
Earth, but this represents about a hundred thousand O’Neill cylinders, which
would be fifty a decade at a rate doubling every decade for a hundred years.
Mind-boggling but definitely doable. If a thousand people are employed to build
each habitat that’d be fifty thousand to start with growing to fifty million in 2219,
about one tenth of a percent of nearly fifty billion.


My POV character probably is involved in this, just because it makes much more
sense to concentrate on something into which I have already sunk so much energy and thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment