Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Dead Stupid Simple Planet Formation Sim

The simplest model of planet formation I can come up with is the disk as line from the star out to the edge of the system, 50 AU for the solar system and at least an average of 10 Earth masses per AU for 500 Earth masses. If we figure that some of that mass got ‘misplaced’ by being dropped into the sun or sent wandering the universe, then the average might be 20 Earth masses, and thus we really should see super Earths in the inner system like we see them elsewhere, but they aren’t here. Jupiter probably ate them or ejected them from the solar system... Now, last night I made a start on a simple line schematic, subdividing the line representing the accretion disk to get seeds for the planets and have the gas and dust of the disk accrete to these seeds with the bits going to the closest seed and seeing what we get. Then I’ll complicate things further, until I can figure out a quick and dirty way of getting planets and then how to get hot Jupiters!

I'll do 'Feed and Weed' after I get the 'string of pearls' planet formation thing going.

No comments:

Post a Comment