Thursday, April 14, 2011

L is for Laughter

            That loving balm for all the world's ills... smile, someone once said, and the whole world smiles with you. Laughter is pain leaving the body, to paraphrase that saying about pain and weakness. Laughing, and crying too, but laughter is better than tears.
            I know that I've been away from my friends for too long, when I hang around them and, after four or five hours, usually much less, it feels like my insides are going to fall out from the laughing. Oh well.
            I will admit to being a little bit mean. When I fed the dogs the other night, Lucky got so excited that he couldn't contain himself; he did this little gallop and jump, twisting about and pawing the air. He was such a sight, and I was laughing so hard, I almost lost his dish. It took me a minute just to stop long enough to give him his dinner...
            What does that say, really? That all humor is, at heart, mean? That would explain 'Seinfeld', which I didn't like very much, but it doesn't satisfy. I've gone and contradicted myself, and I'm left with the one thing I am pretty sure about- I don't know what it all means!
            And that's okay...

No comments:

Post a Comment