Thursday, January 11, 2024

I wanted to get a few things done tonight, but not so much...

I was thinking about the bottom up thing again and the trick to use coordinates to get pseudo random, repeatable results, worlds and universes from seeds.

And this as far as I've gotten, back to points and lines and triangular surface tiles pushing out from an initial point, to a line to a triangle to a 'sufficiently round' polyhedral world map, a resolution of hundreds of kilometers per pixel was the best I could manage, but...

On Earth an average person can see about six miles to the horizon, about ten kilometers. That's something you can wrap your mind around, surely. This often gets us into hexagons in the TTRPG hobby, but these bust up into triangles, everything does, and if I make them ten km on a side we get endlessly interlocking triangle fans, mostly but not always forming hexagons on a spherical surface.

I simply need to get the page to render the surface of a world at some scale, made up of millions of triangular surface tiles which are land or sea or whatever; easey peasey!

No comments:

Post a Comment