Wednesday, January 31, 2024

I didn't have a prompt this morning so I decided to draw my eyeglass case, right in front of me...


I need more prompts!!!

The drabbles have mostly been about the zpoc or a cold nasty alien world.

The eyeglass case is more for zpoc, but what about Arnie the Terminator Turtle?
***
Anderson went looking for Arnie and found the Terminator Turtle in his office at the back of the great library. There was no door, but Anderson reached out to knock on a wooden partition and stopped.
Arnie was wearing glasses.
"I am busy, Anderson, and I only have so much time..." The Terminator Turtle starred up owlishly at Anderson. The glasses were more like goggles and magnified the big yellow eyes with reddish brown pupils. "What's the matter now, Anderson?", he asked wearily.
"You, your, ah, goggles?'
"That Eater weapon relieved me of the command authority," Arnie said with the patience of an elder explaining to a hatchling, "and the directives I was acting under were backed up with the empire's finest synthetic biologics, which were also keeping me alive. As I have repeatedly said I will live until I die. Until I wear out, grow old, decrepit, and may seek my well deserved rest."
"And now you need..." Anderson broke into belly laughs.
"Anderson, I like you, and that's the only reason I tolerate this," Arnie said, but he was blinking rapidly with the amusement of his kind.
Anderson got it under control. "S-sorry!"
Arnie sighed again and laid down his pen.
"Whatever it is, I'll take the time to deal with it now, before it gets away from us... But first, humor me."
Arnie rummaged around and pulled out something like a pillow, put a corner to his mouth and blew, several times, inflating an opaque volume about forty centimeters across, maybe a little more. It was an irregular shape and presently it glowed with faux starlight.
"Ah, it still works as it did when the Great Sheggoo gifted it to me. I would hope the things of," he spoke the proper name for Turtle and then went back to Teklish, " or Man, and even Dragon, last as long," and made a sign. It was a prayer, and Anderson had rarely seen Arnie observe the forms aside from at a hatching. Privately Anderson said a few words to his own dead, asking them to look after things, as they had lived and died. He was agnostic otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment