Sunday, August 15, 2021

Isaac Arthur uploaded ‘Alien Artifacts and Xenoarchaeology’, but it was a little light on practical xenoarchaeology… 8-P Mostly speculation about death pact technologies, accidental or on purpose. After all, why is this civilization extinct?! Usually artifacts survive because they are the ubiquitous trash of a civilization, but the artifacts could survive because something is protecting them… I had a civilization survive the destruction of its people, the animate technology just kept everything running, adapting to flood by waterproofing parts of the city which now lies below the sea! It made for great local color, but it was another story which I abandoned.

Back to my oval polygon world map! Or an oval-shaped world polygon, anyway. I made the shape by generating points on the right from -50 y at the top of the map to +50 y at the bottom of the map, and then mirroring them on the left. I add the radius of my oval (actually a circle) and make a string which I can feed over to CSS to build a polygon div in the webpage. To subdivide, I grab a couple of points from my list of polygon points, make sure they’re not the same or right next to each other, and draw another string of points connecting them, building a pair of new polygons out of the two legs of the old one and this new leg. Just make sure they’re all clockwise… They need a border, somehow.

(I didn’t get that done)

I had a little trouble making the daughter polygon and positioning it properly with position absolute, but I finally got it to make that daughter polygon and display it properly. I need to make a list of polygons defined by their points and by the string I feed to the CSS. So the id, the list (of P2D), and the polyString.


No comments:

Post a Comment